Fleur de lis



This is my dreamy dress: if she had a name, it would be Winnifred. Winnifred is the kind of autumn dress that I throw on when the leaves are fire and the trees fireworks, bidding farewell to the summer and the colour that it brings.



It almost looks like I've emptied out a flower box on my dress! The gold chain headband reminds me of something a fairy queen might have crowned me with and brings the "stuff dreams are made of" to the everyday world. The holey stockings, the belt (bought for next to nothing) and navy plimsoles give Winnifred a bit of toned down spunk. We are at varsity, after all...



I got this scarf from a friend for my birthday two years ago, and it's like a photo album of a time I wish never to forget. I love Paris and have always been convinced I'm going to live there one day. When I was 18, my mother and I stayed in Paris for a week, above the Shakespeare & Co. Bookshop in a tiny hotel room. It had shutters (beautifully known as les jalousies in French) that we opened up like a fresh yawn every morning, to a view of the Notre Dame and the sound of pealing bells. The walls were covered with tea-stained Liberty flower wallpaper and a broken chandelier watched over mismatched floral bedding and mirrors misted with time. But to me it was a bit of Versailles. I dream of the day I'll return. Paris je t'aime...

Comments

lezanne said…
wow... indian descendant :)